Who says that only movies with an enormous budget and an elaborate cast are the ones that make it big? A movie can be a hit just on the support of its dialogues, story-line and characters. Let’s have a look at 20 movies that were low on their budget but didn’t fail to make an impact-
20 blockbuster low budget Indian movies
1.Kahaani– Kahaani is a mystery thriller, based on the story of a pregnant wife rummaging through the streets of Kolkata for her missing husband. The lead role is played by VidyaBalan, with Nawazuddin Siddiqui in a major role. The film, directed by Sujoy Ghosh, was marketed mainly through VidyaBalan’s stints with public in her character, searching for her missing husband. She also talked to people on radio. The film’s budget was Rs. 8 crore, while it went on to earn Rs.78 crores at the box office
- Lunchbox– Low Budget Bollywood Movie:- Lunchbox is an offbeat film with a budget of 9 crores, half of which has been arranged from producers of Germany and France. It was one of the rarest moments when lunchbox entered the 100-crore club with huge commercial blockbusters. There was absolutely no marketing of the movie, it relied on word-of-mouth. The film stars Nimrat Kaur and Irrfan Khan as its lead actors.
- Piku– Piku is ShoojitSircar’s directorial venture, starring DeepikaPadukone, Amitabh Bachchan and Irrfan Khan in lead roles. This quirky movie was made on a budget of 42 crores, while it cashed 104crores. The film was marketed by Deepika and Bachchan.
You may also like to read :15 Unforgettable Indian Movies of 2016-17
4.Vicky donor– This movie was one of its first kind, with a different new-age drama theme. Its fresh outlook was a hit among youngsters such that the film, made on a budget of 5 crores, crossed the 100 crore mark. It starred Anu Kapoor, AyushmanKhurana and YamiGautamas the lead actors.
- No one killed Jessica– Based on the controversial story of the murder mystery of a model, this small-budget movie became a phenomenal success in no time. It starred Rani Mukherjee and VidyaBalan as the leads. Made on a budget of 9 crores, it went to grab 58 crores at the box office.
- Phasgaya re Obama-This 2010 movie is a comedy on the effects of recession. It stars Rajat Sharma, NehaDhupia and Manu Rishi as its leads. It is a must watch for anyone who wants to go on a laughter ride. The budget of this film was just 6 crores, but it earned 19 crores.
7.Paan Singh Tomar–A biography on the life of a sprinter turned dacoit, this film, starring Irrfan Khan as Paan Singh Tomar, was made on a budget of 4.5 crores. It garnered 19 crores at the box office.
You may also like to read :
- Peepli live- Low Budget Indian Movie:-This unique film based around a farmer, was a film with a different concept. Produced by Aamir Khan, it was made on a budget of 10 crores while it earned 34.5 crores.
- Queen-This woman-centric film starring KanganaRanaut is the story of a simple girl Rani, who goes on her honeymoon alone. The film didn’t require any marketing by Kangana,Rajkumar Rao or Lisa Haiden. It was made on a budget of 12.5 crores, while it made 80.70 crores at the box office.
- Ishaqzaade– Depicting a classic tale of honor-killing, Ishaqzaade stars first timers Parineeti Chopra and Arjun Kapoor. Released in 2013, its raunchy style attracted the attention of many. It was made on a budget of 25 crores, while it collected 40 crores.
- Hate Story 3–Hate story 3 is an erotic thriller, starring Zareen Khan, Sharman Joshi, Daisy Shah and Karan Singh Grover. The film was promoted by the lead actors on television and conferences. It was produced by Ekta Kapoor, on a budget of 13.2 crore, and earned 53.5 crores at the box office.
- TaareZameen Par- Award winning Low Budget Bollywood Movie:-Starring Aamir Khan, TaareZameen Par was made on a budget of 18 crores, while it grossed 88 crores worldwide. As Aamir Khan doesn’t like to promote his movies much, this movie became a hit by word-of-mouth.
- Gangs of Wasseypur- Directed by Anurag Kashyap, this is an offbeat movie that follows the rural crime scene of deception and war. Anurag believes that it was his personal best. This movie was made on a budget of 18 crores and earned about 37 crores worldwide.
- Tanu weds Manu- A film by writer and director Anand L. Rai, this quirky love story in a desi style stars KanganaRanaut, R. Madhvan and Jimmy Shergill. The budget of this movie was 18 crores, while it won back 56 crores worldwide.
You may also like to read:
- A Wednesday- Critically Acclaimed Low Budget Bollywood Movie:-A Wednesday had a revolutionary storyline where a common man decides to ‘clean’ his country. Starring Nasseruddin Shah and AnupamKher, along with Jimmy Shergill, this movie was made on a budget of 5 crores, and collected 30 crores at the box office. It truly is one of its kind!
- Aashiqui 2- This musical romance drama, starring Shraddha Kapoor and Aditya Kapoor, was a phenomenon among the youth. The love story and the soulful songs ringed the heart of millions for a long time. A lot of its promotion was done on radio. It had a budget of 12 crores while it garnered 109 crores at the box office.
- Tere bin Laden- The debut venture of Pakistani actor Ali Zafar, Tere bin Laden was a relief from the serious connotation surrounding its subject, Laden. It had absolutely no marketing strategies. It is a comedy, made on a budget of 5 crores and earned 15 crores.
- Love, sex aurdhoka- A brilliant narration by director Dibakar Banerjee, this movie is produced by Ekta Kapoor. Made on a budget of 4.5 crores, it garnered 12 crores overall.
- PyaarKaPunchnama- A youth-appealing movie made 17 crores from a budget of just over 7 crores. The concept of this romantic comedy was hugely applauded among teenagers.
20.Bheja fry- Bheja fry is a rather eccentric comedy starring Rajat Sharma and Vinay Pathak. Quite underappreciated, it was made on a budget of 60 lakhs and made a staggering revenue of 8 crores at the box office