For actors, here we explaining the real way to get an Artist Card, Fees, Getting Locations etc. The world of art and media is no doubt a charming place to be. It’s like the golden world of fairy tale books, however that is not it. No matter how charming the world seems to be from outside, it is very hard to get in, not to mention one needs to be extremely lucky. Every person who wants to be in Bollywood or struggling hard to get a chance needs to have two kinds of stuffs. One is a stunning portfolio and the other one is artist card. From just a daily wage earner or laborer or junior artist to a groundbreaking Bollywood actor, no matter what kind of job you want from the Cine industry, you need to have an artist card for safeguarding your security.
This Content Includes- Process to obtain Artist card in India, combine artist card, Artist Card Price Info, etc
What Is An Artist Card?
An artist card is a gateway to Bollywood film industry. In Chennai, and also places like Mumbai the heart of Bollywood, this is a mandatory thing. The cost of an artist card is beteween 3,000-7,000 and it can be of two types: one is for junior artists and the other one is for senior artists. Problematically these cards are registered by authentic companies only like ‘CINTTA’, ‘Shiv Sena CHTRAPAD SHAKHA’ and so on but they cannot really guarantee any proper job. This is why you need to be extra careful about not getting into the trap of fake agencies or companies.
Why Do You Need Artist Card:
Primarily artist card is needed as it offers a protection to an artist’s main needs like payments, working hours and so on. When a large production house requires a huge number of junior artists, the authentic organizations produce these cards. Let’s take a note of the other reasons behind getting an artist card:
- This card may be useful in particular for junior artists who do not have any professional training or who are devoid of any ambition to be the ‘super star’ in near future. Generally they don’t have dialogues or one or two perhaps. They may come from a community which sees acting as just a job to earn daily bread rather than an actual art. This is valid for people like makeup artist
- You can appeal to the union if you are a registered junior artist with an artist card in case the casting directors ask you to do overtime without any valid overtime.
- An actor with artist card and professionally trained may get better chance compared to an artist with union card holder.
Anyway this doesn’t mean that you can’t go without it since there are examples of people who had seen face of success without it. But it acts as a positive catalyst to fasten your progress.
How Can I Get Artist Card?
Since the process is quite problematic, lots of people wonder how they can get artist card. Let’s take a look at the process:
- Be cautious about the fake ones. Remember any casting director, coordinator or any production house who ask for an artist card in order to give you a role or a break in the film and also ready to issue an artist card for you is more likely to be 100% fake.
- Be careful about not paying anything in case you get a mail just after applying online with the portfolio, confirming your selection without any kind of audition. Also if they ask you to pay more than Rs. 3000 they are most likely to be cheaters.
There are some documents that you will be required which are:
- 5 copy passport size photographs
- Copy of any one of these-Pan Card, Ration Card, Driving License, Residential Proof, Voter ID Card
- Here are couple of numbers of Artist’s & Actors’ Union in India who issues these cards
This is one of the main artist’s and actors’ unions in India. The Federation of Western India Cine Employees or FWICE is union for workers related to Film Industry in Mumbai. Their requirements can seem to be a bit tough however you can call them and find out on you own.
Their address is 113, 1st Floor, Kartik Complex New link road, Andheri West, Mumbai 400053
Phone: 91-22-26302552, 91-22-26730511, 26730513
- SHIV SENA CHTRAPAD SHAKHA
Fees: Rs. 2000(Please contact them for the current rate)
Contact: G 9, Nootan Nagar Primises CHS, Gurunanak Road, Bandra West, Mumbai
Phone: 26557001, 26404712
- MAHARASTRA NAVNIRMAN CHITRAPAT KARMCHARI SENA
Contact: 102, 1st Floor, Umesh Chambers, telligali besides Chatwani Hall, Andheri East, Mumbai 400069
Phone: 65147999, 26848631
Fees: Rs. 5000- Rs. 7000 (Approx)
- BJP KAMGAR MORCH CHITRAPAT UNION
Opened in 2014, the office is in Dadar (East) near Ranjeet Studio.
Contact No. 24183290; 24183141; 24150462
You can check with BJP Office, the address of Chitrapat Union or go
To BJP website: www.mumbaibjp.org
This is a popular name in film industry of Delhi. Their claim is that they do not prefer a larger profile but the very best one. All of its members are connected with the world of entertainment. It can be considered as the leading voice and advocate of Indian culture and audio-visual industry. They are also known for expanding the work opportunities for Indian performers. You can visit their website: http://www.ifaaassociation.com/
There is actually no strict rule, regarding the necessity of artist card as mentioned earlier. You can judge and check yourself and do accordingly, however it is always advisable to be careful about the fake agencies.
Tag: How to get an Artist card Legally in India