Want to pursue a career in creative writing? Searching for fellowship courses for creative writing? We bring for you 17 best fellowships for creative writers which will help aspiring writers to pursue this career off their dreams. So go ahead and select the best fellowship for you!
Read: 17 best fellowships for creative writers
1.International Writer’s Project Brown University–Every academic year, this project offers a 10-month, $45000 fellowship in USA to writers all over the world. The writers who are in danger of persecution and don’t have freedom of speech in their own countries get a chance to live and write freely with the help of this fellowship.
- Arch & Bruce Brown Foundation– Based in New York, it awards $1000 grants to writers and playwrights who write on the topic of gay, lesbian and transgenders that are based on, or inspired by, a historical person, culture, event or work of art.
- Witter Byner Foundation for Poetry–This fellowship awards $1000 to $3000 grants in different categories such as poetry, plays and more. The fellowship starts in june every year and the submissions need to be sent by February of the same year.
- Stegner fellowship, Stanford– This fellowship is granted to people from all over in poetry and fiction writing programs for two years at Stanford University. The fellowship of $26000 covers all expenses and health insurance in the USA. They look for working artists who need to perfect their craft.
5.Hodson Trust- John Carter Brown Library fellowship– This fellowship is awarded to writers, filmmakers, academics, scholars and artists working on a project related to art, history, culture of America before 1800s. The fellowship provides for 2-months of research and 2-months of writing, for $20,000, plus housing and university faculties.
- Academy Nicholl Fellowship– This fellowship prize, given by Oscars committee, is to help a screenwriter produce one original feature film play in one year of fellowship. There are five $35000 fellowships and the deadline each year is 1st May. The entry fee is $85, plus a discount for full time students.
- Haven Foundation– This foundation by Stephen King, the famous horror/thriller writer, helps those artists who have suffered an accident or tragedy that has hampered their writing/ performance.
8.Swann Foundation– The Swann foundation awards fellowships annually to research scholars and writers in MA/Ph.D programs, to help them work in the field of caricatures and cartoons. Along with it, recipients get a stipend of $5000. Deadlines are around February.
- Furthermore Program– Furthermore grants lie anywhere in between $5000 and $15000. They are biannual with the deadlines of 1st march and 1st September every year. They look for non-fiction book writers in any field which informs the readers and would have a long shelf-life.
- The Persephone Miel fellowship– PersephonneMiel fellowship is available for journalists, writers, photographers, filmmakers and freelancers outside U.S.A who are willing to report from their home country. It will provide $5000 in the fellowship, along with travel expenses. The deadline is 1st march.
- Demand Studios– A $1,000 grant is provided every year, and 12 such grants are given each year. The grant is for supporting projects like fiction and non-fiction, essay collections, plays, screenplays, short films and videos, and feature length films, which should reach completion in 6 months from the giving of grant.
- Posen society of fellows– Posen foundation grants $20,000 fellowship for 2-years and the chance to attend two summer seminars in the USA, to the scholars working on modernization processes in Jewish history, culture and society. They look for doctoral candidates working on the same themes as mentioned.
- Nieman fellowship– This fellowship by Harvard University offers a $65000 fellowship for nine months to 24 established journalists, along with housing and healthcare. The fellows will benefit from the academics and community of fellow journalists in these months. To apply, one should have a 5 year exposure to mainstream media.
- Steinbeck fellow program, San Jose University– A $10,000 fellowship is given to writers to write fiction, creative non-fiction, drama and biography. Writers can spend one year at San Jose University to develop their manuscripts. The writers shouldn’t be published authors.
- BucknellStadler Fellowship– This is a great fellowship for poets, who have finished their Master in Fine arts but aren’t published. They get a $20000 grant along with housing and health insurance. They spend a year at Pennsylvania University and write a long-length manuscript.
- Emerging Voices Fellowship– Based in Los Angeles, this fellowship allows writers who are not yet acquainted to the writing community, launch their professional careers. They receive a $1000 stipend, and 7-month stay. They get to attend classes at UCLA, 25-hour project, professional mentorship and public readings.
- Bellagio Residency Program– Provided by Rockefeller foundation, this residency program provides a choice to writers, artists, performers, musicians and dancers to work in a peaceful, disciplined and varied community of academicians and practitioners. It is based in Italy.